We’re delighted to be offering a 2019 version of our Gathering in the Knowledge online course throughout this year, and we have dates for the next run – from November 15-22 – for those who would like to join us to get updated on the AFFIRM and ARRIVE trials and a whole lot more! Click here to find out more or sign up!
This online course had been created to give busy midwives and birth folk an easy, fun way to get updated on new research and thinking. It’s bite-sized to fit around your busy life, guilt-free (because you’ve got enough pressure from elsewhere) and interactive, because we know from experience how much our colleagues love being part of a community of supportive, woman-centred colleagues from around the world.
It’s also really up-to-date, which is why we will only run it a few times this year and then we’ll close it forever. Offering courses that you can access ‘forever’ isn’t actually that helpful in a world where things change and go out of date quickly.
Every participant who evaluated last year’s version of this online course said they would love us to offer a similar update again, and a few (we’ll not name names!) actually begged us to make this an annual course, with new research and topics each year. So this is brand new, with totally new content for 2019!
The course lasts for a total of four weeks: during the first week (November 15-22), I will be in the course with you to chat, answer questions and host a live webinar. You then have access to the course for another three weeks after and you can continue to chat with your course colleagues while completing the course if you didn’t have time to do it all in the first week.
In this course, you’ll be able to:
- Get updated on the latest evidence on many birth-related topics, with the help of video lectures, podcasts, written material, questions and discussions
- Join me and your course colleagues for a live webinar looking at the very latest research.
- Download printable handouts and worksheets to give you a head start with your notes and reflections.
- Explore the latest research findings in a series of video lectures offering ‘research round-ups’ on different aspects of pregnancy and birth.
- Learn more about how to read, appraise and carry out research as I explain elements of research in depth.
- Discuss strategies, share information and give and receive support with midwives and birth folk from around the world.
- Learn from real-life stories, scenarios and sharing, not just ‘the evidence’.
- Get lots of material to reflect upon in your portfolio (and, of course, a certificate to say you were here!)
- Connect personally with me, as I will be online with you during the facilitated week of the course. You can ask me questions and participate in a live webinar which I will facilitate and which will bring together midwives and birth folk from around the world.
The key topics for Gathering in the Knowledge 2019 include:
- An overview of ‘the big stories‘ from the past year or so.
- Videoed research round ups on pregnancy, labour and birth, and postnatal and neonatal wellbeing.
- Exploration of the results of the ‘AFFIRM‘ and ‘ARRIVE‘ trials.
- A focus section and research updates on induction of labour.
- New thinking on the practice of checking the placenta and a focus section on ‘placentas, cords, cells and culture‘.
- Discussion of research and practice on social networking, information and women.
- Sleep safety, support strategies and sex after birth.
- A focus throughout on woman-centred care, and a bonus video and discussion on positive ways of addressing negativity.
- A smörgåsbord of resources for discussion and debate.
- The best blog posts of 2018.
- ‘Stop press‘ updates if key research emerges during the facilitated week of the course.
- And that’s just a taster – there’s lots more inside!
We only run this course for a year and then it closes forever. This is the final run of this course. If you would like to feel more up-to-date and filled up with new ideas for your work, then we’d love to help you. Click here to register or find out more!